Delhi Police arrest founder of NewsClick along with one other person

| Updated: 03 October, 2023 9:30 pm IST
Delhi police raids journalists linked to NewsClick over alleged illegal funding from China

NEW DELHI: Delhi Police Special Cell has made two arrests in the NewsClick case- Prabir Purkayastha, founder and editor-in-chief, and Amit Chakravarthy, HR head and shareholder- today on Tuesday. Delhi Police will produce both of them in Patiala House Court tomorrow.

The Delhi Police Special Cell raided the office and residences of journalists linked to the news portal NewsClick on Tuesday in connection with allegations of illegal funding from China to shape up the narrative in favor of Beijing over the coronavirus outbreak.

A total of 37 male suspects have been questioned at premises and 9 female suspects have been questioned at their respective places of stay. Digital devices and documents have been seized/collected for examination.

The raids were conducted at more than 30 locations, including the homes of journalists Sanjay Rajoura, Bhasha Singh, Urmilesh, Prabir Purkayastha, Abhisar Sharma, Aunindyo Chakraborty, and Sohail Hashmi. 

The Delhi Police said that they had received inputs from other agencies that NewsClick was receiving illegal funding from China and using it to run anti-India activities. A Special Cell has registered a fresh FIR under UAPA (Unlawful Activities of Prevention Act) against NewsClick.

READ MORE: Cops raid NewsClick office, journalists’ houses in China funding case

In August, The New Indian accessed a leaked email in which Purkayastha, the editor-in-chief of NewsClick, allegedly discussed with US tech billionaire Neville Roy Singham on how to defend China’s position regarding its handling of the Covid-19 outbreak in Wuhan.

In the email, Singham also referred to NewsClick employees and one Vijay Prasad as “international friends who work together on creating information for the people.”

The police said that they are still investigating the allegations against NewsClick and that no arrests have been made so far.

Soon after the raids began, the journalists took to X (formerly Twitter) to share the news. “Delhi police landed at my home. Taking away my laptop and Phone…,” posed Abhisar Sharma.

Another NewsClick employee, Bhasha Singh, tweeted: “Finally last tweet from this phone. Delhi police seizure my phone (sic).”

Also Read Story

Trailer launch of “Dharmaveer-2” in the presence of chief minister Eknath Shinde

Economic Survey 2024: Industrial growth fuels India’s 8.2% economic expansion

JeM releases propaganda video, J&K Police warn public

Economic Survey 2023-24: Unemployment declines to 3.2%, focus shifts to skilling, investment