Mortal Remains Of Slain Soldier Reach Home

| Updated: 31 July, 2022 7:35 pm IST
The mortal remains of chief constable Shishupal Singh Bagadia (inset) arrived in the country

JAIPUR: It was a poignant moment as the mortal remains of the jawan chief constable Shishupal Singh Bagadia, who was killed in action in the UN Mission, Congo, reached his ancestral place on Monday.

Talking to The New Indian, Rajkumar Bagadia, nephew of Shishupal Singh, said, “The family is in utter shock to receive the news on July 27. My auntie (Shishupal’s wife) is inconsolable. We are taking care of them and together as a family will keep his memories alive.”

Bagadia is survived by his aged parents, wife, a son and a 24-year-old daughter pursuing her MBBS.

Bagadia, who hailed from Rajasthan’s Sikar district, was recruited by the Border Security Force (BSF) on 19 October 1994. Coming from a family of soldiers, around a dozen members of his family are serving in the armed forces. Bagdia’s two elder brothers are also in BSF.

Bagadia was described as hardworking, enthusiastic and dutiful personnel from the beginning and he always discharged his duty with dedication and devotion in his 27 years of service.

Due to this honesty, Bagadia was selected for the Peace Mission Congo of the United Nations Service. He was serving in the Peace Mission Congo from May 2, 2022.

A week-long sit-in protest against MONUSCO (the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo) was organised by Congolese citizens on July 25, 2022, but it quickly became violent.

On July 26, 2022, the Morocco camp, where chief constable Bagdia was stationed along with his other comrades, was attacked by a furious mob with sharp and automatic weapons. According to BSF officials, Bagdia displayed indomitable courage and saved the lives of hundreds of people present in the MONUSCO camp.

Bagadiya, despite being badly injured in this attack, fought the protesters till his last breath and laid down his life fighting for duty.

On July 31, 2022, at nine in the morning, his mortal remains arrived at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi, where Union minister Kailash Chaudhary, senior officials, and Border Security Force members paid respects to the dead soldier.

Also Read Story

Two terrorists killed in Kupwara encounter

Two Army personnel injured in Doda encounter

CM Yogi Adityanath concludes strategy meeting for upcoming by-elections

NASSCOM urges withdrawal of Karnataka’s State Employment Bill