Woman dies in Noida hotel fire hotel lacked safety certificate

A 27-year-old woman, Palak Kumari, died from burn injuries and asphyxiation after a fire broke out at Moon Hotel and Banquet Hall in Sector-104, Noida, on Saturday evening.

| Updated: 20 May, 2024 12:38 pm IST

NEW DELHI: A 27-year-old woman, Palak Kumari, died from burn injuries and asphyxiation after a fire broke out at Moon Hotel and Banquet Hall in Sector-104, Noida, on Saturday evening. Kumari, a physiotherapist residing in Sector-46, Noida, was staying at the hotel with her friend, Navneet Sharma, a 26-year-old engineer from Mayur Vihar Phase-1, New Delhi. Sharma is currently receiving treatment at a hospital after inhaling a significant amount of smoke.

Officials reported that the fire started on the fourth floor of the hotel due to maintenance work involving an air conditioner. Smoke quickly spread to the sixth floor, where Kumari and Sharma were staying. Firefighters were alerted at 5:35 PM and managed to control the blaze using one of the ten fire tenders dispatched to the scene.

ALSO READ: Gurugram Police intervened after Noida Police for Elvish

Tragically, the hotel did not have a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from the fire department. Pradeep Choubey, Chief Fire Officer of Gautam Buddha Nagar, noted that the hotel was new and undergoing maintenance and renovation since it was leased on May 10. At the time of the incident, Kumari and Sharma were the only guests in the hotel.

In response to the tragedy, an FIR has been filed against the hotel management under IPC Section 304-A (causing death by negligence). Praveen Kumar Singh, ACP-1, Noida, stated that authorities are investigating the records of the hotel owner and the lessee to determine responsibility for the incident.

ALSO READ: Elvish Yadav arrested by Noida Police in Noida snake venom case

This is not the first fire-related incident in Noida this year. On April 5, 19 people, including 16 children, narrowly escaped a fire at an orphanage in Sector-26. Earlier, on February 25, four people suffered burn injuries in a house fire in Mamura village.

Kumari and Sharma were reportedly planning to marry, with their families engaged in finalizing the match. The investigation into the fire and the hotel’s safety compliance continues.

Also Read Story

BJP to form Farmer Producer Cell to boost agriculture in Uttar Pradesh

Kharge slams Modi Government for railway ‘negligence’ following Bengal train accident

Terrorist associated with LeT killed in Bandipora encounter

Rahul Gandhi to retain Rae Bareli, Priyanka Gandhi to contest from Wayanad