Fact Check: Alt News’ Sinha, Zubair Get Egg On Face, Not Nobel After Hype

According to TIME magazine, fact-checkers Pratik Sinha and Mohammed Zubair are reportedly among the favourites to win the Nobel Peace Prize

NEW DELHI | Updated: 07 October, 2022 5:16 pm IST

Remember the controversial TIME magazine story that claimed Alt News co-founders Pratik Sinha and Mohammed Zubair were contenders for the Nobel Peace Prize this year?

Well, the suspense got over on Friday as the list published by the Nobel Committee does not feature their names. Instead, the prestigious award for this year was begged by Belarusian activist Ales Bialiatski, the Russian human rights organisation Memorial and the Ukrainian human rights organisation Center for Civil Liberties.

The announcement sent the social media users into field day who pointed out that Zubair has been involved in many anti-India activities including provoking a section of Indians, instigating communal riots and receiving donations from undisclosed sources based in Islamic countries.

“Soon all zubair friends (you all know who are there) will say it’s rigged. zubair should have got it after what he went through and soon there start saying #NobelPeacePrize2022 winners are always propaganda,” a Twitter user who goes by the name of Aman wrote. He attached some laughter emojis with his post.

Another user, Abhis, wrote: “#Zubair and #PratikSinha win the Nobel Peace Prize for successfully starting riots on India, whistling and due to that Rana Ayyub is now the President of India, Arfa the Prime Minister of India & Rahul Gandhi the President of USA in Earth 3.”

Many netizens alleged that the TIME magazine article was a planted news story. “Propaganda magazine @TIME should be awarded “Best Satire Media” for publishing frauds like M Zubair & P Sinha as front runner for Nobel Peace Prize,” another Twitter user said.

 

Zubair is being investigated by the police forces of Delhi and Uttar Pradesh for hurting religious sentiments, instigating communal clashes, criminal conspiracy, and destruction of evidence.

In June this year, he was arrested by the Delhi Police on charges of hurting religious sentiments with his objectionable tweet regarding Lord Hanuman. He was later booked in at least six cases in different districts of Uttar Pradesh on similar charges.

After a preliminary investigation, the Delhi Police, in July this year, also pressed fresh charges of criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence against him.

He was charged under the Foreign Contribution Act (FCA), 2010, a law to regulate the acceptance and utilisation of foreign contributions or foreign hospitality by certain individuals or associations.

He is being probed by the Intelligence Fusion and Strategic Operations (IFSO) unit of the Delhi Police led by its chief and DANIS-cadre IPS KPS Malhotra.

As per officials of the IFSO unit, Zubair had deleted the data from his mobile phone or was using a different mobile phone to circumvent the probe.

“He had a clear intention of hiding the information or his associate’s details. Through CDR analysis, it was observed that prior to June 25, he was using a Redmi Note 8 mobile phone and on June 25, he had changed the mobile handset,” the Delhi Police had said.

“This was done by him deliberately, as on June 24, he had received the notice for joining the investigation in Case FIR no. 194/2020 by Insp. Vijay Kumar. He had deliberately hidden and destroyed the previously used mobile phone.”

Also Read Story

Punjab urges Centre to maintain order amid Haryana police injuring 160 farmers

Did BJP’s Suvendu Adhikari brand Sikh IPS officer as ‘Khalistani’?

Karpoori Thakur’s son rejects political angle in Bharat Ratna, emphasises legacy of equality 

Lesser-known facts about Fali S Nariman, senior SC Advocate, who died at 95