SRINAGAR : Demands for a thorough investigation have intensified after the body of a 23-year-old man was discovered in a stream in South Kashmir’s Kulgam district, days following his reported detention by the Army. The case has drawn sharp political reactions and raised questions about possible misconduct.
The deceased, identified as Imtiyaz Ahmad Magray of Tangmarg village, had returned home just two weeks ago after working outside Jammu and Kashmir as a labourer. His remains were retrieved from a tributary on Sunday. His grieving family alleged that he was picked up by the Army and accused authorities of custodial abuse leading to his death.
While the police offered a different version, stating that Magray attempted to flee while assisting security forces during a counter-terrorism operation, opposition leaders expressed deep concern and skepticism.
According to a police statement, Magray had admitted knowledge of a terrorist group’s hideout and was being escorted to the location during a cordon and search operation.
Officials claim that near the site—close to the Veshaw Nallah river—he leapt into the water and vanished, possibly attempting to escape. His body was found later in the same stream. Police said drone footage had documented the movement.
They also said Magray was aware of a previous encounter in the Tangmarg forest on April 23, where a terror hideout had already been discovered by security personnel.
However, Magray’s family insisted he was in custody before his death, alleging he was taken from his residence and promised release shortly afterward. His sudden death, they claimed, casts doubt on the police narrative.
The incident prompted National Conference leader and minister Sakina Itoo to visit the bereaved household. She called for a court-led inquiry and urged Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha to ensure accountability. “This is not just about one young man,” she said. “It’s about restoring faith in justice. Fear has gripped ordinary citizens and that should never be the case in a democracy.”
Itoo emphasized that the people of Kashmir, still reeling from the April 22 attack in Pahalgam which killed 26 people, should not be subjected to blanket suspicion or harassment. “Our hearts are heavy from the Pahalgam tragedy, but punishing innocents won’t bring healing,” she added.
Former Chief Minister and People’s Democratic Party President Mehbooba Mufti also weighed in, posting on social media that Magray’s death was the latest in a pattern of disturbing incidents following the recent surge in violence.
“Another body emerging from a river in Kulgam raises serious suspicions. Locals maintain he was taken into custody, and now he’s dead. This pattern of arbitrary detentions, house demolitions, and civilian targeting must stop,” she said. Mufti also accused certain quarters of exploiting the Pahalgam attack to destabilize peace and intimidate the populace.
As calls for an impartial probe grow louder, officials say they are awaiting autopsy results while the broader counter-terror operations continue in the region.


